Friday, September 19, 2014

2014 - Ottawa on a Clear September Day

Photos

Here I am again, in Ottawa for the annual Temiscaming get-together. I think of this as a “hometown reunion”, with a rather eclectic mix of ages and connections to my birthplace.

I spent much of the day traveling after leaving the house at 7:00 a.m. To my surprise, I was on the new TSA fast-track system, and I went through security without having to remove my laptop or my shoes. Just like pre-9/11, except that systems are more efficient today and I was at the gate well in advance of boarding for the 8:45 flight. We were in Detroit by 11, so I had a 3 hours to make my connection. Time for lunch and a walk around that very pleasant airport.
I chatted all the way to Ottawa with my very interesting seat companion, a software developer who has a Minnesota client, also an acquaintance of mine. My friend Diane Gingras picked me up at the airport and we visited happily through the very congested Friday afternoon traffic.

I had the feeling that I was home ... but not home. Happy to be in Canada but returning as a visitor, with a sense of "limited" belonging.