Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Quick Tour of Ottawa

Parliament Hill
Photos
I woke up Saturday morning a little grumpy from a poor night's sleep, missing my cheerful, gregarious husband. A cup of coffee did wonders and I felt ready for continental breakfast in the reception area of the motel. I rather enjoyed sitting quietly by myself, watching the light rain with a pretty good cup of coffee, so-so bagel and juice.

Rideau Canal
I figured I had about four hours before I had to get ready for the big Temiscaming party. On the advice of the front desk clerk, I took a cab rather than the bus to downtown Ottawa. $15 plus tip, and I got the same driver booked for 7:00 a.m. airport run the next morning. Bought a hop on, hop off city tour and walked around a little, looking for an Ottawa Senators cap for Chris. Took a few photos and was feeling a little weary by the time I boarded the bus at noon. The lovely tour guide, Hélène from New Brunswick, did a great job with her fluent and fluid bilingual commentary.

It was quite windy on the top of the double-decker bus and the skies looked threatening for most of two hours. I enjoyed seeing the Rockcliffe area of Ottawa, where I had walked many miles in the late 70s during my brief stint working on Parliament Hill in the West Block, now being restored. It was fun to hear the blurb about 24 Sussex Drive, the Prime Minister's residence, and gossipy notes on various embassies and historic places.