Monday, September 23, 2013

Sick!

On Friday evening, I had a bad sore throat after I arrived back at the hotel and by morning, I could barely talk. I felt OK, though, and my only disappointment was that the day of glorious photo ops was simply not going to happen. No matter; nothing I can do about the weather.

I dropped into the “deluxe lounge” at the hotel for evening appetizers and decided that I wouldn’t need dinner, so I went back to my room to call Bob. By this time, I was really hoarse and not feeling very well. My throat was raw and I could feel my pulse on both sides, something I remember after my tonsils were removed over a half century ago.
I was exhausted but couldn’t sleep very well because of the pain, and awoke whimpering from a fitful sleep just before 3:00 a.m. I instantly knew that I wouldn’t make it to Montreal on this trip. I struggled to change my reservation by calling Air Canada; not a happy experience with laryngitis. The 72-hour change in my reservation cost me $539, and I was grateful that it wasn’t $1,000. I contacted my friend Kathe Lieber via email to let her know I wouldn’t be celebrating her birthday with her after all. Similar email and/or FB messages to 7 other people. I lay down for a couple of hours and then got up.

Under normal circumstances, I would have gone for a swim Sunday morning but I didn’t have the energy to do so. I did a little writing and some work on my photos, and left for the airport just after checkout at noon. The day went surprisingly well but I fell into bed right after unpacking my bag, and didn’t get up till morning.