Monday, September 23, 2013

Airport Sunday

I rarely miss Mass but I just couldn't go out yesterday morning, and I just wasn't up to looking for mass in either the Ottawa or Toronto Pearson airport. And, although I dreaded spending my Sunday in airports, I felt better as the day progressed so it turned out all right in the end.

I arrived at the Ottawa airport shortly afternoon and was immediately taken by the light, open feeling in that pleasant building. Although my flight wasn't scheduled to leave until 4:00 p.m., I decided to go through security right away and be done with it. By this time, I was a little hungry as I hadn't had much to eat since Friday evening, so I checked out the eating establishments and ended up at D'Arcy McGee's Irish Pub, mostly because several football games were on and I thought I might as well torture myself by watching the Vikings (Cleveland 31, Vikings 27).

The food (Caesar salad, French onion soup) was fine but overpriced, as was the Guinness ($8.95!), but most of the people (all men) at the bar had long layovers and just wanted to watch one, or all of the games, so it was a fun atmosphere. I still couldn't talk much so watching sports was just fine with me. Topped up the Guinness with a Starbucks skinny latte.

The plane left about 30 minutes late, so I was dragging by the time we arrived in Toronto in brilliant late afternoon sunshine. On the way to YYZ, I read about navigating airport connections, and learned that they are color coded at Pearson. I followed the purple signs toward the F gates, where all flights to the US originate, and had no trouble. I was intrigued by a semi-automated customs and immigration screening (Steps 1 through 3), that eliminated the need to physically collect a checked bag and personally carry it to the belt for the connecting flight.

The YYZ-MSP flight left promptly at 8:25 and arrived two hours later. I had a row to myself on the plane and treated myself to a Johnny Walker Red, which did wonders for the throat. Arrived home tired but feeling little the worse for wear. Bob picked me up and I was home shortly after 10, happy to plop down exhausted in my own bed.